Provider Highlight: Snohomish County Veterans Assistance Program
WAServes – Greater Puget Sound is one of eight America Serves Networks across the country, with twelve scheduled to be online by 2017. Snohomish County Veterans Assistance Program (SCVAP) is one of 76 key veteran service providers, spanning the scope of supportive services for veterans and their families in eight counties in the Pacific Northwest service region.
The SCVAP provides limited emergency assistance to eligible veterans and dependents in Snohomish County. Below is a list of the program’s services:
- Provides emergency financial assistance for honorably discharged veterans, veterans’ widows, and qualified dependents
- Arranges for mental health and alcohol/drug assessment and treatment at a VA Medical Center
- Provides outreach to veterans at home and in jail
- Helps veterans in filing for VA benefits
UNDERSTANDING WASERVES CLIENT NEEDS
Housing & Shelter is the largest service type requested by WAServes clients, reflecting 30% of all service cases. The figure below indicates the distribution of closed cases across 16 service types. The remaining top service case types are: 29% Employment; 11% Benefits; and 7% Legal.
SCVAP is one of the top three network providers who have served the most WAServes clients in housing and shelter services, along with St. Vincent de Paul of King County and Seattle and Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs. Second, only to WDVA, SCVAP is one of the top providers helping WAServes clients with Benefits.
Below is the percentage of SCVAP WAServes clients across these categories:
- SCVAP achieved a 100% positive outcome rate in addressing client benefits needs.
- SCVAP worked with 13% of all Benefits WAServes services cases, second only to the WAServes Coordination Center.
- SCVAP has worked with 14% of all Housing & Shelter WAServes services cases.
SCVAP is the leading provider in referrals, second only the WAServes Coordination Center.
UNDERSTANDING SCVAP CLIENTS
SCVAP CLIENTS BY AGE and Service Era
SCVAP clients are male, ranging in age from 31 to 76 years old and have served in the Army, Marine Corps., and Navy. 8% are from Vietnam, 33% are from the Post-Vietnam, 42% are from the Post 9/11, and 17% are from the Persian Gulf War service eras.
SCVAP CLIENTS BY BRANCH OF SERVICE
CONNECTING WASERVES CLIENTS TO VETERANS BENEFITS SPECIALISTS
SCVAP is helping veterans and their families connect to benefits, housing and shelter, money management, and utility assistance services. WAServes is grateful for SCVAP’s participation in the network, especially referring clients into the WAServes network.
If you are a Veteran, Spouse, or Spouse Survivor and need assistance from Snohomish County Veterans Assistance Program in the WAServes network, click here.